Monday, October 12, 2009

Is This Week Already Ruined?

Listening to: Possibility by Lykke Li

If I could go back to bed and start this day over, I would. Have you ever had one of those days that you just were pissed off and there wasn't any one thing or person that put you in that mood? Today is that way for me.

In reality, I should be feeling happy and excited for tomorrow but I'm beginning to feel like this is just a foreshadowing of the mood I'm going to be in tomorrow evening. Actually, the pissed off feeling started on Saturday when I started my period. My last period was 8/20.....and wouldn't you know that my period would show up right before my appointment. I'm not sure what this means but I'm afraid this is going to push us further out and delay starting our first cycle again. Maybe it's my body's way of telling me to not go to the doctor! In any case, I'm still going tomorrow. But I'm already feeling annoyed about the whole appointment.

I got a sneak preview of the New Moon soundtrack (which is officially released 10/20). I find it lacking and I'm really disappointed in the overall sound. On the Twilight soundtrack, there were several catchy tunes right from the get go. Not so much on this one. Of the 15 songs on the track list, only three capture my attention, four kinda grows on me, one appeals to the classical side of me, three make me wonder WTF, and the rest I don't even remember. I'm hoping that if I take the time and listen to each track, I'll see the value of each. Here is the track list, with my initial thoughts:
  • Meet Me On The Equinox by Death Cab For Cutie - Kinda reminded me of Spotlight by Mutemath off the Twilight soundtrack.  It's catchy and probably one of my favorites off the whole album.
  • Friends by Band of Skulls - Eh...jury is still out on this one.  Sort of sounds like the lead singer of BTE.  I doubt it'll be one that I just HAVE to hear over and over.
  • Hearing Damage by Thom Yorke - Hate it.  I feel like I'm in a bad 80s music video.
  • Possibility by Lykke Li - Surprisingly good if you can get past the fact that she sounds like MIA.
  • A White Demon Love Song by The Killers - Usually one of my favorite bands but I really wasn't feeling this song.  Maybe I need to hear it a couple of times for it to grow on me.
  • Satellite Heart by Anya Marina - If Colbie Caillat and Jewel had a baby, it would be this singer.  It's definitely not memorable.
  • I Belong To You (New Moon Remix) by Muse - When I first heard the original version of this song on Muse's latest album, I hated it.  I told B that in order for me to like it on the New Moon soundtrack, it would have to be a completely different song.  That was a while ago.  Having heard the remix, I appreciate the original version so much more.  Another one of my ultimate favorite bands but they should have stuck with the original version...the remix is lacking.
  • Roslyn by Bon Iver and St. Vincent - A song that I'll forget about as soon as I go to the next one.  I get the symbolism though...
  • Done All Wrong by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Love it.  It sounds so much like an Edward song.  Full of angst and pain which is typical of the whole Bella/Edward relationship. 
  • Monsters by Hurricane Bells - I find myself wanting to fine tune the station because it sounds like horrible reception.  For some reason, I imagine Barney singing this.  Ugh, moving on.
  • The Violet Hour by Sea Wolf - Has potential to become a favorite.  It's such a Jacob song and it really makes me feel for the poor guy.
  • Shooting The Moon by Ok Go - Another band that I really enjoy but it took a couple of listens to really get into this one.  Probably the second strongest song on the album (next to Meet Me On The Equinox).
  • Slow Life by Grizzly Bear -  The simplicity of this one is what first draws me in.  Not a favorite but it doesn't make my ears bleed either.
  • No Sound But The Wind by Editors - This one made me question their sanity.  Really? Were you just trying to fill up the album and this was the bottom of the barrel? I keep expecting it to break into the Big Love opener.  The lyrics are deep but the music just ruins it.
  • New Moon (The Meadow) by Alexandre Desplat - Strictly appeals to my classical love.  It would have been better if they could have continued with Bella's Lullaby from the first movie because this one doesn't really sound similar and that song was a constant throughout the books.
Obviously the soundtrack is a mixed bag of songs/crap.  Overall, I'm disappointed because I expected so much better and have been counting down the days till the release date.  So poor soundtrack + crappy ovaries + annoyance with male population + being a monday = really bad day.

No comments: