Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Infertility Marathon

Listening to: Silence

We met with the RE as planned on the 13th.  The meeting went better than I expected it to and for that I am so grateful.  She wanted to check my AMH level, do an HSG, and have B's "gang" tested as part of our initial work-up.  She also put me on 500mg of Glucophage which she thinks might help regulate my hormones.  I spoke with the doctor on Friday who let me know my AMH level was fine and that she thought our best starting point would be the Femara.  If I don't ovulate within the first cycle on the medication, we're going to move on to Femara and injections to try and beat my ovaries into submission.

We briefly talked about B's results.  Most all of his numbers were fine but the numbers for motility were lower than normal and she said that it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider doing an IUI just to improve the chances of conceiving.  It looks like our baby is going to end up being created in the least personal way possible...but it will still be created out of love so that's a good thing! My HSG is scheduled for Tuesday and I absolutely CAN'T wait to be subjected to that torture.  A fun time will be had by all.  On the positive side, she doesn't expect to see anything unusual so another positive mark in our column.  We have a follow up appointment with her on 10/26 to go over protocols and then we just have to wait until I have another period to begin.  She wants me to give it 30 days and if I haven't started, she'll call me in a round or progesterone to force the start.  So, it's looking like it will be after 11/8 before we can start the first cycle....but it will be here before you know it.

I'm trying to keep a level head about all of this but I'm finding it difficult to not be excited beyond belief.  All my free time is spent thinking about what will happen when we finally get pregnant and for the first time, I feel hopeful.  I am just praying that this works out for us and that I won't be faced with even further disappointment.  For now, I'm focusing on losing weight, looking at baby furniture, and imagining how I want to decorate the nursery.  I can't wait for it to become a reality!

No comments: