Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Today I won my first battle

Today has been yet another stressful day at work and by 5:30 my stomach was screaming to eat. Sitting at my desk all day, I couldn't help but notice a cup from my last trip to Cook-Out last week and it seems that the cup had learned the art of torture. By the end of the day, all I could think about is "I WANT A BURGER, CAJUN FRIES, AND A SWEET TEA FROM COOK-OUT".

Of course, it was even more tempting because B was working late tonight so I had to fend for dinner on my own. In an effort to dissuade myself, I called my mom so that I could listen to her coaching me to stick with my healthy eating. Turns out, my mom wasn't really into coaching today. After I explained my great predicament and exclaimed that cup was practically begging me to drive to Cook-Out and that I was thisclose to giving in to my temptation...my mom tells me "Well.....I've gotta go cook dinner so I'll talk to you later". Huh?!

Your child just called to tell you that THE most powerful drug she could ever desire (fatty, calorie laden foods) is trying to bust down the door of her healthy eating temple and you have to go cook dinner? Gee thanks....when I gain 5 pounds of water weight from the fry seasoning, I know where to point the finger!

So, for the next hour I argued with myself...eat healthy....go to Cook-Out....eat healthy....one meal off the wagon won't kill you....eat healthy. Finally, I forced myself to drive to Wendy's and get a Grilled Chicken Sandwich. Believe me, it was touch and go all the way to the drive-thru menu because I really thought the car was going to overpower me and drive my ass to Fuquay-Varina and force (not really) fries and a hamburger down my throat.

The point of all of this is that I didn't give in to willpower. I know that Friday night, I probably won't be eating healthy because we'll be driving back to Abingdon and I don't want the eventual guilt of eating "poorly" two nights out of five. Besides, eating back home is so much harder than eating at home and I'm sure it will be even harder to eat healthier there. I feel like I've accomplished something by being stronger than the pull of the craving. I feel empowered! Oh, and that cup....I made B remove it when he got home! Try talking me into giving in now!

Here is the breakdown for day 3 (goal/actual):
Calories: 1600/1476
Carbs (g): 240/138
Protein (g): 80/49.5
Fat (g): 36/25
Dietary Fiber (g): 30/33
Water (8 oz glasses): 8/8
Walked (miles): 1.2/0**

Weight loss as of this morning: Still holding at 2.6 lbs

**I will be making this up on Friday.

No comments: