Friday, August 15, 2008

Where has the time gone?

I can't believe that we're already half way through August! A lot has been going on in my personal life. I went back to Virginia on July 18th to be with the family since my grandfather's last official dialysis treatment was July 14th. He passed away on July 24th...5 days after his 62nd wedding anniversary. I was able to spend time with him in his last few days. He couldn't really speak when I arrived at his house on the 18th but he recognized me and I was able to tell him how much I loved him. I spent every day with him and my grandmother and I was there when he was taken to hospice...the last time he would ever stay at the cabin. His passing was sad but I found myself being at peace and actually happy that he was finally able to be where he wanted to be his entire life. The burial was July 27th and it was a beautiful service and the weather was perfect.

I came back to Raleigh on July 29th but went back to Abingdon on July 31st for Larry and Amanda's wedding. They had paid tribute to my grandfather by placing his bible beside my grandmother and putting a rose on top. Larry carried my grandfather's pocket watch. It was a happy occasion and definitely something the family needed but it was also bittersweet. I've been in Raleigh since the wedding and it has been great to get back into a normal work routine...it keeps me from thinking too much and getting sad and depressed!

Grandmother and mom are coming down in 2 weeks and I am so excited! I also think Larry and Amanda are going to be spending Labor Day weekend with us which will be cool. Of course, B will miss out on all the fun because he'll be stomping around in Washington...looking for trains and Big Foot. We'll still have a blast without him!

So, that is the summary of things that have happened to date. I will be making more of an attempt to update more!

No comments: